Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!


We had a fun week of Dr. Seuss activities.  It kicked off with Read Across America day.  We had lots of great folks reading favorite stories to my class and a cozy pajama day in the classroom.  We made the hats to celebrate.  We did lots of work on chunks, rhymes, and word families.  The kiddos also painted the Cat in the Hat.  I did not model this because I wanted to see their completely "KID" interpretation of the character.  OMGoodnes!  They are so darn cute!





I also had them write about the cat right after I read the book.  I am always so happy with their responses to the prompt:  What would you do if the Cat in the Hat came over to your house?  What do you think would happen?  Would you tell your mom?



(I would hide so he couldn't see me.  I would tell my mom.)


(I would slam the door on him.  I would tell my mom.)


(I would call the cops.  I would tell my mom.)


After all these years, I still like Dr. Seuss.  It was a fun week at school!  I think the best thing is how motivated to READ my students became.  There were kids in our class library reading Dr. Seuss books during choice time every day!  Woo hoo!

Happy Teaching!





No comments:

Post a Comment